This blog is an extension of Stop BC Arts Cuts, a website set up by a loose affiliation of artists, curators and arts workers in British Columbia to protest the abrupt, unwarranted, and socially and economically unwise chopping of BC public arts funding. Check back regularly to read news about this issue and our efforts to campaign for the return of Gaming monies as well as the return of funding to the BC Arts Council. Thanks for reading!
Who are we?This blog is an extension of the website Stop BC Arts Cuts. We are a loose affiliation of arts supporters, artists, curators and arts workers in British Columbia who are fighting to overturn the abrupt, severe, unwarranted, and socially and economically unwise cuts to BC public arts funding. Even before these cuts, BC's arts funding was already well below that of all other provinces of Canada: the national average for provincial arts funding is $26 per capita; BC is now at approximately $6.50 per capita, even after the recent $7m restoration of funds. Ultimately the cuts still stand at approx 50%, amounting to a giant blow for the BC sector and one that will make us uncompetitive. Many organizations are already closing their doors. Meanwhile, every other industrial sector in BC receives substantial subsidies - why make an example of art? Arts funding is not only a crucial component of a homegrown culture industry in a relatively remote region with a small population (and relatively small corporate activity). It's also a lucrative investment that has been proven to fatten, rather than impoverish, the BC tax base (see here), by bringing large returns on every dollar given. Let's not find ourselves with a BC culture consisting of nothing but American TV. Check back regularly to read news about this issue, and to keep informed about our efforts to campaign for the return of these funds, which are: a) promised BC Gaming monies, and b) regular tax base funding for the BC Arts Council. Thank you for reading. To contact us, click here.
- Thank you @JamesMoore_org for reviewing support for @QAFVancouver cc @bifnaked 2 weeks ago
- RT @ArtsAdvocacyBC: "Cuts at Capilano U: Is Worse to Come?" Tyee thetyee.ca/Opinion/2013/0… #bcpoli #vanpoli 2 weeks ago
- RT @ArtsAdvocacyBC: Please Like/visit our Facebook page! Thanks, everyone! #bcpoli #cdnpoli 2 weeks ago
- RT @ArtsAdvocacyBC: "The Drought Continues" - See p 157 for state of B.C. arts (pdf). BC ALWAYS LAST IN CANADA ccarts.ca/wp-content/upl… #bcpo… 2 weeks ago
- RT @ArtsAdvocacyBC: Thanks @SChandraHerbert & NDP for promise to raise BC Arts Council to $29m by 2015, highest level in BC history. ... 1 month ago
- Dan Mangan’s “Post-War Blues” video dir. by Kevin Eastwood – statement against government attack on arts
- BC municipal elections – who are your arts candidates?
- Some Spirit Festival” money directed to BC Arts Council, but little & late
- Federal arts cuts coming?
- Dutch political theatre around arts cuts – ad in the New York Times