Great video for Dan Mangan’s Post-War Blues, directed by Vancouver’s Kevin Eastwood. Thanks to both Dan, who has been ever-active in speaking out against the BC government’s cuts to arts, and Kevin Eastwood for this video. Good performance by Don McKellar.
Who are we?This blog is an extension of the website Stop BC Arts Cuts. We are a loose affiliation of arts supporters, artists, curators and arts workers in British Columbia who are fighting to overturn the abrupt, severe, unwarranted, and socially and economically unwise cuts to BC public arts funding. Even before these cuts, BC's arts funding was already well below that of all other provinces of Canada: the national average for provincial arts funding is $26 per capita; BC is now at approximately $6.50 per capita, even after the recent $7m restoration of funds. Ultimately the cuts still stand at approx 50%, amounting to a giant blow for the BC sector and one that will make us uncompetitive. Many organizations are already closing their doors. Meanwhile, every other industrial sector in BC receives substantial subsidies - why make an example of art? Arts funding is not only a crucial component of a homegrown culture industry in a relatively remote region with a small population (and relatively small corporate activity). It's also a lucrative investment that has been proven to fatten, rather than impoverish, the BC tax base (see here), by bringing large returns on every dollar given. Let's not find ourselves with a BC culture consisting of nothing but American TV. Check back regularly to read news about this issue, and to keep informed about our efforts to campaign for the return of these funds, which are: a) promised BC Gaming monies, and b) regular tax base funding for the BC Arts Council. Thank you for reading. To contact us, click here.
- RT @Ayan604: "#Vancouver City manager runs thriving #Airbnb on island facing housing crunch" as told by @thinkpolca This is quite disappoi… 2 years ago
- RT @ArtsAdvocacyBC: Why are we spending billions on an unsafe dam we never needed in the first place when the entire BC arts sector is bein… 2 years ago
- RT @doctorjenn: Tonight at Target, woman *yelling* at manager that she has a medical exception to not wear a mask. Me rolling by for the a… 2 years ago
- RT @JohnCleese: Just heard about Terry J It feels strange that a man of so many talents and such endless enthusiasm, should have faded so… 3 years ago
- All who are still following this account, now tweeting only from. @ArtsAdvocacyBC - thanks! 7 years ago
Arts Cuts Links
- Alliance for Arts – video PSA
- Alliance for Arts – Write a Letter! Easy Webform Here
- Alliance for Arts and Culture – campaign toolkit
- Artists' and Citizens' Response to Funding Cuts
- Arts Advocacy BC
- BC Arts News
- BC Budget Visualizations – DIY Transparency & Local Government
- BC Gaming Funds Belong To Communities – Stop The Cuts!
- Christy Clark – Audio interview on Gaming funds
- Coalition for a Better BC
- Coalition for the Defense of Writing & Publishing in BC
- Dan Mangan: Thoughts on Arts Funding
- Decimating the Arts in Canada
- Facebook Group: Organizing against Campbell's cuts to the arts
- Grey Square
- Pacific Association of Artist-Run Centres
- Prominent British Columbians speak out against the arts cuts
- Put A Face To The Arts – Golden, BC
- Restore Arts Funding Now Stickers – see "Active Links"
- Vancouver International Writers Festival
- Wells, BC opposes the cuts!
- Dan Mangan’s “Post-War Blues” video dir. by Kevin Eastwood – statement against government attack on arts
- BC municipal elections – who are your arts candidates?
- Some Spirit Festival” money directed to BC Arts Council, but little & late
- Federal arts cuts coming?
- Dutch political theatre around arts cuts – ad in the New York Times
- April 2012 (1)
- October 2011 (1)
- July 2011 (2)
- June 2011 (2)
- January 2011 (1)
- December 2010 (2)
- November 2010 (6)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (6)
- August 2010 (7)
- July 2010 (1)
- April 2010 (1)
- March 2010 (2)
- February 2010 (4)
- January 2010 (6)
- December 2009 (10)
- November 2009 (29)
- October 2009 (1)