Gabriola has made a great contribution to the BC-wide “Face of the Arts” Flickr campaign. See all their photos in their Flickr set here! The Face of the Arts campaign was kicked off in Golden, BC, and is spreading around the province via Flickr. Vancouver participated in the project last night at The Wrecking Ball political theatre revue, and those photos will be forthcoming. If your community wants to get involved in this campaign, Golden’s Kicking Horse Culture site explains how to start. Flickr has been a very useful tool in this fight against the BC arts cuts, and speaking of Flickr, please take a look at this really fun new BC-wide art project and contest – The “Arts Cuts Memo” contest. Please participate in these BC-wide projects – they’re beginning to have an impact on the government, on public attitudes toward the arts, and on future BC cultural policy.
Who are we?This blog is an extension of the website Stop BC Arts Cuts. We are a loose affiliation of arts supporters, artists, curators and arts workers in British Columbia who are fighting to overturn the abrupt, severe, unwarranted, and socially and economically unwise cuts to BC public arts funding. Even before these cuts, BC's arts funding was already well below that of all other provinces of Canada: the national average for provincial arts funding is $26 per capita; BC is now at approximately $6.50 per capita, even after the recent $7m restoration of funds. Ultimately the cuts still stand at approx 50%, amounting to a giant blow for the BC sector and one that will make us uncompetitive. Many organizations are already closing their doors. Meanwhile, every other industrial sector in BC receives substantial subsidies - why make an example of art? Arts funding is not only a crucial component of a homegrown culture industry in a relatively remote region with a small population (and relatively small corporate activity). It's also a lucrative investment that has been proven to fatten, rather than impoverish, the BC tax base (see here), by bringing large returns on every dollar given. Let's not find ourselves with a BC culture consisting of nothing but American TV. Check back regularly to read news about this issue, and to keep informed about our efforts to campaign for the return of these funds, which are: a) promised BC Gaming monies, and b) regular tax base funding for the BC Arts Council. Thank you for reading. To contact us, click here.
- RT @ArtsAdvocacyBC: Uh oh. @CanadaCouncil notice to orgs: "Learn about an initiative that will culminate in a new funding model for the art… 7 months ago
- At2van Looks like your account has been hacked. Change password? You're sending out virus-laden links. 1 year ago
- Hi all, just a reminder that we amalgamated with @ArtsAdvocacyBC a couple years ago. That's our main twitter. Please follow it! Thx. #bcpoli 1 year ago
- RT @csmithstraight: Rezoning bid to keep @Western_Front an artist-run centre straight.com/arts/548926/re… @georgiastraight @stopbcartscuts @allia… 1 year ago
- RT @csmithstraight: Ming Sun building spared demolition for now straight.com/news/545756/mi… @georgiastraight @alliancearts @stopbcartscuts @accw… 1 year ago